Latest pots to be fired in electric kiln

IMG_20190609_102851.jpg

Usually I dip my pots in one glaze, occasionally in two and rarely in three. This was something I tried for the first time. I hope it will be an interesting interplay between two glazes, unglazed surfaces and underglaze lines. This type of glazing turned out to be time consuming. The decoration was inspired by the patterns on Australian aboriginal shields.

 

Another modest attempt at carving leather hard clay, which took three hours. Subsequent refinement of this pot took yet more time. These are meant to be weedy seadragons, a kind of seahorse found only in Australia. I am planing to glaze it with a translucent celadon.

 
 

Trying new stuff

I prepared a few pots for the next wood firing to test new clay mixes. At the same time they are carved and accented with various pigments. Here is one of them. I put a lot of effort in to making it, but the result is not very impressive. I will refrain from using this clay mix and this pigment in the future.

IMG_20180826_135534.jpg
IMG_20180826_162352.jpg
IMG_20180909_103006.jpg
IMG_20181013_153441.jpg
 

My latest carved pot

This was an ambitious project for someone who does pottery only for three hours a week. This pot is hand-formed, carved, painted and wood-fired. Probably the most labour intensive pot I have ever made considering its relatively small size. 

IMG_20180506_171632.jpg
IMG_20180617_102628.jpg
IMG_20180617_215435.jpg
 

My latest aka-e pot.

Ever since I saw Kutani Ikko's sometsuke and akae pots with dragons I wanted to have a go at an imitation/homage. I nearly chickened out of it when I examined the photos of these pots closely. Nevertheless, my very modest attempt made me realise how great Ikko's artistry and craftsmanship are. Took a while to come up with a design which uses Ikko's style. Decided to go with akae because of my recent mishaps the blue pigment. It turned out reasonably well, but there is a lot of room for improvement!

My "blank canvas" is made of white stoneware clay fired to 1000°C.

The plan of action is mapped out with a pencil.

After many hours of painting the design with red underglaze.

Finished pot with a clear glaze applied over the painted design and fired again to 1280°C.